Territory of the mysterious tribe of the Feline, "The Matses" is considered one of the most remote areas of the Amazon rainforest. Little exploration has been done and is inaccessible for most tourists.
- Departure from the Peru Amazon Adventures office.
- We will Flight with a light aircraft or hydroplane (Water plane)
- One hour flight from the Air Force Base to the town of Angamos located on the Brazilian border.
- Motorboat into one of the least explored areas of the Amazon rainforest, the "Matses Reserve".
- Observe the flora and fauna of this region.
- Arrival to the Community of the feline tribe "The Matses".
- Accommodation: Overnight in a typical house in the tribal community.
- Live in a tribal community beyond civilization.
- Learning their customs and way of life.
During this time we will be doing the following activities:
- Harvesting food from their "Chacras" plantations.
- Hike to a "Colpas" (deposit of clay containing mineral salts where a large number and variety of animals gather).
- Assemble "Barbacoa" (construct observatory platform in trees).
- Construction of individual and group shelters.
- Identification of animal tracks and footprints.
- Search of Jaguar (Panthera onca) trail.
- Learning how the Matses hunt.
- Learn how to use their weapons for hunting.
- Learn how to construct traps to catch animals in the native way.
- Identification of medicinal plants.
- Searching for the giant tree, largest of the jungle "Lupuna" .
- Drinking water from forest vines "Soga de agua" .
- Excursion in search of primates.
- Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri) and other species.
- Learn how to fish with "Barbasco" (toxic plant).
- Nocturnal exploration on in search of alligators, snakes, tarantulas and other species.
- Construction of raft or floating devices.
- Tobacco sniffing or "Nu-nu" ceremony (optional) .
- Frog or "Sapo" ceremony (optional) .
- Canoe trip in search of wildlife.
- Buying or bartering for handicrafts and authentic weapons of this indigenous tribe (optional) .
- Ancient stories of senior Matses.
- Overnight in a typical house in tribal communities and in the jungle.
- Motorboat to the Lobo River.
- Bird watching.
- Hike through primary jungle to the town of Requena (50 km).
- Crossing of rivers and streams.
- Overnight in the jungle.
- Arrival to the town of Requena by walk
- Public boat "Lancha" to Iquitos.
- Transfer to the Peru Amazon Adventures office.
Services include: Transfer from Iquitos airport, all land and river transportation, plane ticket from Iquitos to Angamos, all meals provided for duration of trip, purified water, indigenous Matses guiding.
Materials: Mosquito nets, sheets, hammocks and rubber boots.
Peru Amazon Adventures provides financial support for the tribal communities.
Very Important for you to bring with You: Mosquito Repellent, Sunblock, Shirts or T- shirts long sleeves, Socks and if you can Sun glasses.